99% of the homes out there could use a little lawn care help, here are a few lawn care tips to help you.. Putting effort into your grass is a great inexpensive way to increase the value of your property. A well-manicured lawn is the talk of the neighborhood.
1. Do Not Scalp your Lawn
- A lot of people tend to cut their lawn really low so they don’t have to mow so much. This is called scalping your lawn. This is a huge mistake. Scalping or cutting your lawn low causes more lawn care to be needed in the future. Grass that is cut to short does not absorb sunlight through its leaves. This hurts its ability to defend its self against diseases and insects. This also allows for weeds to start growing where they normally wouldn’t.
- Mow high! A higher cut actually helps you grass grow deeper stronger roots. Never cut off more than 1/3 of your grass height. The remaining grass will develop a great healthy root system. This creates a dense healthy great looking turf.
2. Leave Grass Clippings on Lawn This is a Very Important Lawn Care Tip By Lawn Care services!
- Grass clippings should not be picked up. Then end up at the soil surface and decompose very quickly. The benefits of these grass clippings are countless! They help to shade the soil which in turns hold moister. The grass clippings revive valuable nutrients that would be lost by removing the grass clippings.
- A mulching blade is highly recommended to be used. Always keep your mower blade sharpened.
3. Change mowing pattern.
- Do not mow in the same direction or same pattern each time you mow. By mowing the same direction this weakens your grass. Switch up your cutting direction each time you cut your lawn.
4. Keep Flower Beds to a Minimum
- Flower beds require a lot of maintenance, edging, weeding trimming pruning. Too many beds scattered throughout the property will begin to look cluttered.
- Flower beds bordering your house are usually all you need. Remember the more beds the more time you will have to dedicate to keeping up with them.
5. Water deeply, Your Grass need at least 1” of water a week.
- Watering deeply trains your grass roots to grow deep into the soil. This strengthens your lawn. Deep roots help the grass survive hot dry summer days or dry spells.
- Water early in the morning to avoid evaporation. Once the sun comes up is will dry top of the lawn. You do not want to ever water at night. Watering at night promotes diseases and mold growth.
- Over watering wastes money. Over watering is also bad for your grass. Water logged soil is a breeding ground for diseases. Keep your lawn’s watering down to 1” of water a week. A good way of doing this is using a tuna can. Cut the lead off of a tuna can and set it near your sprinklers. When the tuna can is full your grass has gotten enough water.
- If you have any watering questions please feel free to give Lawn Care Services a call. We will give you advice on proper watering.
Look for more Law Care tips Coming From a Lawn Care Services Professional
we will be placing a new article up every week in spring to help you maintain a healthy lawn. Our goal is not to be the best Lawn Care Services out there but to also to educate and help everybody to have a better lush lawn. Please keep in mind that we are a Full Service Lawn Care. We offer a free no obligation quote to anybody wanting one. Call 713-859-7311. Join our Lawn Care Services group